Friday, December 16, 2011

Living in Kansas City

It sounds silly but sometimes I forget I live in a city. A big place with a lot of people and a lot of things. I know those from NY or LA or Tokyo or Calcutta see Kansas City as a dot on a map. But I grew up in a town of fewer than 1000 people. I suppose because I live in a suburb and mostly follow my one little path to work and the store and home I just forget.

When I got the chance to travel outside the US, it made me realize how much we neglect the experiences we can have in our country but really in our own area. It is true that Stonehenge, Mount Everest or the Louvre are not in my backyard but there are experiences to have here or nearby. There are beautiful things and good eats right here. One of my motivations to start this blog was to get out and experience my area. It probably won't always feel as astonishing as my first sight of Michelangelo's David or being on the water in Venice or seeing the blobs of paint on an actual Pissarro painting. That is no reason not to check out what is right here.

What's made me think of this? A couple of converging things. Today we'll I just start with me finding the website Explore My KC. There are so many great photos of the area. Here are some of my favorites.


For my love of all things tilt shift, here is Kansas City from the Hyatt (soon to be something else) near Crown Center.


The Liberty Memorial - I walk here sometimes during my lunch.


I am fascinated with this photo. Supposedly it is from a kite cam. I figured it was a plane or something. For those that don't know KC, let me tell you, there are no buildings tall enough around the Liberty Memorial to get this shot.


Every weekday I cross this bridge. They started building it about the time I started commuting this route. I feel sort of proud of it because I suffered through all the traffic delays and re-routes and watched it being built from the water/ground up. I see it twice a day, five days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...