Friday, August 12, 2011

Without all this ado

Source: google.com via JJ on Pinterest


I came across this post by miss minimalist. It was so succienct and exactly what I needed to read. Perhaps it seems counterintuitative that a blog called "So Many Little Things" should reference anything minimalist. My many little things are not always things I guess. They are feelings of "that's it exactly" or "that is beautiful", be it words or people or yes, even things. I admit that I love things. But I also get a real physical feeling of panic when I have too many things (or things that don't serve a purpose to me). It weighs heavy on my heart. Too many things become STUFF that needs to be organized, cleaned, repaired, moved and eventually replaced with new and better stuff. I'd rather have a few things that make me immensely content than a lot of stuff I thought I should have. More importantly, I don't want STUFF to be my motivation. I have found that you can never "keep up" with anyone else's lifestyle. When you make more money or have more things there will still always be people who have just a little bit more. If that becomes what is important, you will be chasing something you can never catch. I'd rather have experiences and people higher on the priority list. I could never be categorized as a minimalist in every aspect of my life but there are certain areas where it is a physical and mental necessity for me. I need space, blank, open space, be it in my basement or my work or my to-do list. I find I can breathe better and contribute more. Here's the quote miss minimalist is refering to:

(from Thomas Traherne’s The Centuries):
It is storied of that prince, that having conceived a purpose to invade Italy, he sent for Cineas, a philosopher and the King’s friend: to whom he communicated his design, and desired his counsel. Cineas asked him to what purpose he invaded Italy? He said, to conquer it. And what will you do when you, have conquered it? Go into France, said the King, and conquer that. And,what will you do when you have conquered France? Conquer Germany. And what then? said the philosopher. Conquer Spain. I perceive, said Cineas, you mean to conquer all the World. What will you do when you have conquered all? Why then said the King we will return, and enjoy ourselves at quiet in our own land. So you may now, said the philosopher, without all this ado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...